Thursday, November 19, 2009

Decorating tip



I thought I'd share this image of a photo shoot/room makeover that I worked on while I was on staff at Decorating Ideas magazine.  I transformed the entire room based on a number of requests by the homeowners.  One of the things that was a high priority for the couple was a storage solution for the room. They asked for something that would fit their wall space without feeling too cumbersome.  We ruled out an armoire for space and budget reasons.  They wanted something that was light and airy with a feeling of  an armoire.  After some thought, I came up with an economical solution of evenly spaced deep wall shelves with baskets for storage and  thought it would be fun to add a little twist by securing legs to the bottom shelf to create the loose illusion of a furniture piece.  This option gave them the storage they desired and the airy feeling that they had asked me for.  It was also an unexpected element to a typical shelving display. 

9 comments:

sherry ♥ lee said...

Debbie this is a fabulous idea and I'll tell you how well it works just from looking at a photograph...my first thought when I saw the wall display was "oh how unique and to have a bench at the bottom to make it look like it's a piece of furniture"...without even knowing that you created the bench by adding those legs, for that reason. Now THAT is great design (or better yet, a great designer!). Love the colours as well -- the whole room appears soothing.

Diana Evans said...

oh wow Debbie!!! this is a great shot!!! and perfect!!! I love that bench that is seamless with the shelves in this shot!!!

Christy said...

Thanks for the tip. I too was fooled especially because the legs of the bench (shelf) echo those of the chair. excellent!

julie king said...

hello!!! i love this idea, debbie! i've been looking for an idea for my entryway and feel something similar to this could fit the bill. it may be months before i actually accomplish this but it will be brewing in the back of mind as i try to find the time.

your sense of style is just wonderful!

julie Haymaker thompson said...

Prue taste and talent!!!! That is you!!!! I love this my hubby would too We love wenge too!!!

Laura said...

Hello my friend - such talent you have, I love this!!! Also just watched the video of your journaling class, I'd sign up in a minute if I lived close enough!! :>

Renee said...

It looks great, I thought it was a table.

Renee xoxo

Jen R. said...

I didn't realize that wasn't a bench! Very cool idea!

Renee said...

Boy did I ever love kids in the hall.

xoxoxo