Monday, July 6, 2009

My Mom still hangs laundry on a clothesline


That's right, in the summer, my Mom will occasionally hang clothes out to dry on a clothesline. She says that the sun is the best whitener for laundry. Does anyone else still do that? I hear that some towns will not allow people to hang laundry to dry. Too bad!!

Anyway, this was a little piece that I created a while back for a client, using some fun scrapbook paper.

Well, right now I still can't upload any new images, change file sizes or do any photoshop type alterations to anything. We have had a couple of crazy months with computer problems. My laptop crashed and then we transferred everything over to our main home computer and then that decided to crash as well. I had no home computer access for a very long time. We finally decided to buy a new computer but I don't have my old programs transferred over yet. I'm still working on that and hopefully sometime very, very soon, all will be back to normal. In the mean time I'll be posting more fashions for the home and for the girl fabulous finds. I'm so happy to be back and have time to dedicate to my art once again. Thanks for stopping by friends!

11 comments:

Mixed Media Martyr said...

Debbie! I can not believe what you have just said about washing!! I live in New Zealand, and it is the middle of winter, and we still hang our washing out. A very usual topic for discussion starts "managed to get two loads of washing dried today before the rain came" or "I was out all afternoon and didn't get the washing in, and then it was too late, so I had to leave it out to dry in the morning". My sister learned very quickly in Australia not to leave her washing out at night becuase the next morning it was covered in sticky, black bat poo!!! LOL!!

We do have driers, but most of us middle classers only use it when we absolutely have to. A lot of us have drying racks that we put out on the verandah or extra lines in the garage or under the carport, to use if it is raining!

I just cannot believe that anyone would say that a subdivision cannot hang their washing out to dry on a line - that is incredible!!

Leanne.

www.MaisonStGermain.com said...

I still hang clothes out to dry. You can't beat the way freshly dried sheets smell when you get into bed at night - pure heaven!
~Debra

sherry lee said...

Hope you get your technological glitches worked out soon!!

I love this piece you custom created...there is NOTHING like laundry hanging on the line -- it smells wonderful!!!

Jen R. said...

I would love to hang clothes to dry here if I didn't have to lug them through the house to do it! Great piece!

julie king said...

what a sweet clothes line piece this is!!!! my mom still hangs clothes on the line as well. she just turned 80 and carries the wash out and back in and it amazes me. nothing says home like seeing clothes on the line!!

Alison Gibbs said...

I still hang washing out to dry too!!
Can't believe that some towns ban hanging out washing. What a cheek.
Alison

Amber said...

I think there is nothing like laundry dried on the line. Most areas here will not allow you to hang clothes out. It "looks bad" is what is said. It's mostly in the areas that were farm land that is now going to build more expensive homes.

hint said...

You're back! Wow, the computer woes sound like they were a bit of a bummer. I hope things will find a way to balance out soon, because I miss your work.

Love the clothesline! My dad's cousin just did a watercolor of his mother hanging out clothes. It is so old Euro feeling. I love that sunshine smell with the wash.

Mary Q Contrarie said...

Debbie, you asked in your blog if we still hang out laundry. I actually stopped using my dryer about two years ago. I use a clothesline and clothes drying racks. I have read reports that it save 6-10% of the US domestic energy use. I'm not sure about that but my clothes smell wonderfu and they last forever and they look great.

Couture de Papier said...

Hi Debbie I was thinking of you the other day when I went for a test and brought my baby! That's a nice gift to have a boyfriend to write to!

Couture de Papier said...

PS I hang my clothes out in the sea air!