Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Custom Altered Books

I just really love the process of creating altered books!
For some reason, I feel like there's something magical about working on the pages of an existing book. Maybe it's the fact that, in a way, I'm writing and illustrating my own book.
(which I'd love to do some day)
In this case, I created two custom altered books for a client and it was so much fun to tell their story through my artistic voice.


There is nothing like bringing a book to life through personal images and bits of information. It's so very exciting and I love the fact that when I begin a book, I never really know how it will turn out until I'm finished. The mystery of letting the story come to life while playing on the page is the most fun for me. The story magically unfolds as it's being created.


I hope you enjoyed this tiny peek into a few of my altered book creations. I will share more altered book pages from new books that I've been working on.
In the mean time:
By clicking on the images above, you will be transported to the gallery on my website where you can view more of the work I created in these two altered books.

11 comments:

sherry lee said...

This is a beautiful book Debbie. Creating a personal story over a story that has already been written, or a book of text adds "layers" to what we create within our own lives.

Diana Evans said...

oh wonderful Debbie...so nice to see your work again!!!

you have to pop by to see Cole's latest painting!!!

Hugs
Diana

rochambeau said...

Dearest Deb,
You have such a special way in all that you touch! It is always a joy and fun to see what you are up to!
Hope we meet one day!

xox
Constance
ps
The first time I came to your site was during VV's tea. When you have time will you please tell me about your blue slippers with the pompom. When you got them, if you
wear them etc.

Somepinkflowers is who introduced you to me. Did you know her father passed away a few weeks ago?

eghigh said...

Debbie,
This is beautiful...I really have to try this sometime.
Elizabeth
P.S. I continue to be enchanted by that tricky little troll I won from you!

julie king said...

these are wonderful! i've never tried altered book art but it sure does look like fun! of course, this means i need to go to the indoor flea market to browse for books! hee hee

Valerie Lorimer said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous Deb! I love your altered books. Can't wait to take one of your workshops - hopefully soon!!

Dapoppins said...

have I told you, I am sure I have...I love your altered books. Do you use paint more than collage scraps? Your paint colors are always so warm and sweet!

Christine said...

It's beautiful Debbie! Glad to see you're finding time to do your art:)

Jayne Dearborn said...

Hi Debbie,

I love, love, love these beautiful books! You are so creative and talented. Thanks for sharing.

Jayne

sophie philo said...

great book!!!

Ronni said...

These are beautiful.