Saturday, January 26, 2008

Decorating Trends

I've had a very busy week. I spent three full days walking the Chicago Gift show, checking out the trends and buying interesting items to create displays in my shop. I thought that it might be fun to share some of my observations from this show.

I had gone to the furniture shows several years back and now I'm seeing some of those trends trickle down to the gift and accessories markets. I'll just mention a few of the common themes that I observed.

I saw lots of mushrooms in every shape form and finish.
I also noticed that Bird themed items were everywhere. I'm not kidding, they were everywhere!! Most showrooms had something bird related whether it was artwork with birds, actual nests, eggs, trees, birdcages or birdbaths.
Anna Corba Bird Jars

Room Service Home (Dinner Service)


Metal nest from Object Utility

Still seeing cloches of every kind, glass, wire, metal with bases in various shapes and styles.


Cloche from Ebay


Bird's nest Earrings from DaWanda

Tree pattern plates from Viva Terra
The strong color combination that I observed is still robins egg blue,browns tans and cremes.

Maine Cottage Bedding

Potluck Studios Dinnerware

I saw earthy and warm colors in most showrooms and quite a bit of the black and white combinations.

Designers Guild Image

On a brighter note, one of the trend reports that I read predicts that we will be seeing more vibrant colors in the coming year.

Designers Guild Image

I saw so much more but I won't bore you with all of my observations and there you have a very brief summary of what I witnessed at the show.



By the way, starting on Monday I will post one of my ATC giveaway creations a day. There were six all together so be sure to stop by each day to find out which secret message the winners received and discover what is truly in their hearts.

Thanks for visiting!

Sorry that I was gone for so long this week.

7 comments:

Diane Duda said...

Love all the nest-y items! I can see why they are so popular.
Thanks for sharing all your beautiful finds.

Di

Alison Gibbs said...

Thanks for showing us some of the trends you saw at the Gift show. It is amazing the way the bird theme has taken off. Love the cloches - have to get myself at least one.
Alison

Jen r. said...

What great stuff! I love the bird jars. They are so clever! That was probably tiring but really cool.
JenR

dubuhdudesigns said...

Wow! So many good finds! I love the white plates with the images of trees:) You must have had a lot of fun looking and buying. Thanks for sharing..and let us know what's up between you and papier~mache!
~Christine

Jill said...

What lovelies. I am new here... what a great place! Have a great evening!

Jenn said...

Hooray for anything bird themed!! Love it all...you must have had so much fun. Can't wait to visit your shop in person:) xox..jenn

Kate said...

Those bird cage earrings are so fun!! And who doesn't like a place setting accented with robin's egg blue?

Wish I had gone with you Debbie! Maybe next year?

Kate