Thursday, January 25, 2007

My Day with the HGTV crew


The HGTV crew were just amazing and a fun group of people to hang with. I so enjoyed spending the day with them. They arrived at my home at 8:00am and started setting up their equipment right away.

I only took two photo's the whole day. I don't know what I was thinking!! I guess I just had a lot on my mind. Anyway this is one of the pics I took. It's of the friendly camera man on the left and the adorable director on the right. I never got a chance to get a picture of the producer or the sound guy (darn it!) both of whom were very cute people.

The whole experience really took me back to the photo shoots I used to do when I worked for Decorating Ideas Magazine. The only difference was that everything for HGTV was live and at the magazine we always worked with inanimate objects. I have to say that the crew really reminded me of my friends and co-workers from the magazine. As soon as I met them I felt like we had known each other for years.

Anyway, I didn't think that the shoot was REALLY going to take 6 hours like they said it would. (It actually took 8) You see, I've done live TV before and a 4-5 minute segment is over in the blink of an eye. There is a ton of pressure to be coherent, but it's over fairly quickly. So I thought this would be pretty quick as well, but it's a completely different approach. One where you have to repeat lines and sound convincing and spontaneous. I found it to be a very interesting and wonderful experience but I felt so sorry for the crew. I say that because by 2:30pm my brain was no longer wanting to cooperate. The director wanted me to say a couple of lines, the camera man would roll film and cue me and then I would pause for a moment then say,........... "What did you want me to say?" That poor crew!! They were soooo patient, but in my defense, I had a pretty sleepless month.

My parents were both in the hospital this past month. My Mom was in for one week then my Dad went in the next week, I took care of them, I had paintings to create for a show, I had things to get ready around the house and I had to prepare my two projects for HGTV and that's really just naming a few things. So, I was really feeling the exhaustion creeping in, but I think the taping went pretty well. At least I hope so.

Well, that's all I will say for now. I don't want to bore anyone to tears with my story. I just had such a fun experience. Four out of the five of us were Italian and so we were telling our crazy Italian stories and I just laughed the whole time. The day was definitely a memorable experience. I'm sure that it will be one of those good stories that I'll tell when I'm a crazy old lady.

Oh yeah, I won't know when this will air yet. I will know the date in June. They said that it could air anywhere from 4 months to 14 months from the date that we filmed. I'll keep ya posted.

3 comments:

ValGalArt said...

Debbie I am so glad you wrote this as I thought I was suffering from Alheimers when I could not remember what they said between say this and action!!!! Yay, I'm not brain dead or if I am I'm not the lone ranger... i would love to link with you I hope that it is ok?

ValGalArt said...

i hope your folks are doing better by the way!

Debbie Egizio said...

Val, I know! Glad to hear that I wasn't the only one as well. Now that I think about it, they must come across that often because most people aren't trained to remember lines. Anyway, thanks so much for the well wishes for my parents. They are doing good now.